NYC Clean Heat has transitioned into the NYC Retrofit Accelerator, New York City's new one-stop resource for energy and water efficiency. Learn more at www.nyc.gov/retrofitaccelerator
The New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) and Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) manage the permitting system for new and existing heating equipment. The City has streamlined the permitting process by required forms and permit information online, making it simpler for buildings to convert to the cleanest fuels, while ensuring the safety of its citizens.
Department of Buildings
Depending on the size and type of work a building may be performing, buildings will need to complete either the LAA1 (Limited Alteration Application) or PW1 (Work/Performance Plan) processes. Buildings converting to firm gas service must also complete the OP49 (Self-Certification for Removal of Existing Boiler Form). To learn more about requirements from DOB, click here to access DOB’s Boiler Division web page, which includes contact information to answer permitting questions.
Department of Environmental Protection
The DEP is responsible regulating the City’s air quality. As such, buildings must obtain a APC 5-0 (Fossil Fuels Combustion Equipment Application for Permit to Construct and Certificate to Operate) Certificate of Operation from DEP to register new heating systems and an APC 314 (Application to Renew) to renew existing permits every three years.
To facilitate the permitting process, DEP has created the Clean Air Tracking System (CATS) for Boiler Registrations. Building owners can now submit new applications or renewals for boilers online. Click here to learn more or log in directly to the CATS to create or monitor an existing account.
Locating Forms and Permits
- BO9: Boiler Inspection Report, B09
- Boiler Appointment Form: Boiler Appointment Form
- LAA1: Limited Alteration Application, LAA1
- OP49: Self-Certification for Removal of Existing Boiler Form, OP49
- PW1: Plan/Work Application, PW1
- APC 314C: Application to Renew, APC314
- APC 5-0: Fossil Fuels Combustion Equipment Application for Permit to Construct and Certificate to Operate, APC 5-0
- AR355: Amendment Form, AR355
- Inspection Request Form:Inspection Request Form